Day 2 :: Becoming a "vegan" and more...

Posted on | Tuesday, November 3, 2009 | 5 Comments

I won't post everyday about my vegan adventure, but I thought I'd add a touch more on yesterday's post. I totally forgot to mention that I would be vegan by diet plus a bit more... but I still need to work on carrying that over to clothing and items. I love, love animals, but choosing a vegan diet is mostly for selfish reasons of improved health (I totally respect true vegans that forgo all things animal including what they wear).
So by "a bit more" I mean that I am going to cut out processed sugars whenever possible, foods with preservatives, white flour, heavily processed foods, vegetable/canola oil, and some other things in addition to the typical meats, dairy and eggs. I think that sometimes you'll see some "vegans" that eat tons of potato chips, fried noodles, and other high fat and high calorie foods. There isn't anything inherently wrong with this if your main motivation is for animals. I'd like to take the "kind diet" approach and really work at getting my body in the best state of health as possible. The Kind Diet takes vegan to the next level, toward macrobiotic or "superhero" as coined by Alicia. I'm somewhere between vegan and superhero as defined by the book (the book has three levels: flirting, vegan, superhero).
So what about iron, vitamins, and protein? According to the book (which I recommend), you can get all of these if you vary your diet enough and focus on the grains and vegetables and include some form of protein in the day - beans, tempeh, etc. Also, soy is not pushed in this diet, which is nice as too much soy is not good either.
Supposedly, your body might go through a "detox" of sorts when you make the transition and so far, I haven't felt sick, but I was really sluggish and tired this morning... I will let you know how it goes.
If anyone has any great vegan recipes they'd like to share, I would love to hear about them!
oooh... and I'm excited to follow Alissa on her vegetarian adventures...

Comments

5 Responses to “Day 2 :: Becoming a "vegan" and more...”

  1. Unknown
    November 4, 2009 at 10:13 AM

    I have been a vegetarian for 5 years but have still been eating milk and eggs. I was so happy to see your post about Alicia's new book- I bought it as soon as I saw that! I will be joining you on your vegan adventure. Hope to hear more stories!

  2. Anonymous
    November 4, 2009 at 12:35 PM

    my fav snack is dino wraps--

    a leaf of kale
    couple slices avocado
    couple dates, cut in half
    and a spritz or two of amino acids (tastes like soy sauce)

    mmm - good luck!

  3. alissa
    November 4, 2009 at 8:36 PM

    i definitely need to check out her book! it sounds really interesting. I have made an effort the last few days to reduce my amount of dairy - it wont go away completely - but still.

  4. Claire
    November 6, 2009 at 7:48 AM

    My husband and I have been experiementing with our diet lately and found this really great recipe: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/10/lemony-quinoa-with-butternut-squash.html

    We've made it a ridiculous amount of times already. Maybe you'll enjoy it too.

  5. Lorraine Daley
    November 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM

    You might enjoy these vegan organic chocolates...they are YUMMY!
    http://www.nicobellaorganics.com/

Twigs & Honey products

Brand new! Myra Callan Bridal line

Purchase my new book through Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble

t&h_shop Photobucket

Some love

Portland Bride & Groom  Loves Us!

Search This Blog

Archives