Istanbul, Turkey :: Pictures Part 1

Posted on | Wednesday, October 7, 2009 | 2 Comments

Matt and I took tons of pictures from our trip to Istanbul. I'm sorting through them all and it's going to take a while, so I thought I'd post in batches between work today. :)
We stayed in Istanbul for 1 week and left right before riots broke out not too far from where we were staying in the Old District. We were just blocks from the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. We rented a charming 2 bedroom apartment that came with a generously sized bathroom, kitchen, dining room and living area. The modern conveniences were a nice touch. I'll look for the contact information and post here when I get the chance.
The trip was very different and I especially enjoyed the cuisine, although I'm pretty much burned out on lamb and kebab for a long time. We visited mosques, museums, the Grand Bazaar, the Spice market, and many other sights.


IMG_5796


Hagia Sophia


IMG_5841


One of the entrances to the Grand Bazaar.


IMG_5848


Inside the Grand Bazaar.


IMG_5865


I really liked the lamp shops....


IMG_5863


Matt liked the brass and copper.


IMG_5898


Looking at meerschaum pipes.


IMG_5880


Wearing my new necklace from the Grand Bazaar.


IMG_5868


Many trinkets and odds and ends.


IMG_5961


IMG_5964


More Hagia Sophia shots...


IMG_5987


Cute stray dog. We were surprised at how many cats there were on the streets. They'd walk under our tables at restaurants, sleep on public benches, climb everywhere... Many stray dogs too.


IMG_6029


Inside the Blue Mosque


IMG_6052


IMG_6102


Inside Hagia Sophia.


IMG_6177


Restoration work... very tall scaffolding.


IMG_6208


IMG_6215


IMG_6230


Intricate details everywhere.


IMG_6227


IMG_6252


Walking up to the second level of Hagia Sophia.


IMG_6258


IMG_6270


IMG_6280


IMG_6303


Under all the plaster were these very intricate tile mosaics. Very beautiful.


IMG_6312


IMG_6298


IMG_6355


More photos to come!

Comments

2 Responses to “Istanbul, Turkey :: Pictures Part 1”

  1. Michelle {lovely little things}
    October 7, 2009 at 5:00 PM

    Just discovered your blog, it's wonderful I love it!

    Love the pics from your trip, I've always wanted to go to Turkey since I studied the Blue Mosque in my college art history classes.

  2. umama
    October 17, 2009 at 8:27 AM

    Love your photos! I went to Turkey a few years ago and LOVED it! Everything was very clean and gorgeous. But it was only one stop on a cruise, so we didn't get to really explore like you did! Oh, and I love that necklace!

Twigs & Honey products

Brand new! Myra Callan Bridal line

Purchase my new book through Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble

t&h_shop Photobucket

Some love

Portland Bride & Groom  Loves Us!

Search This Blog

Archives